Monday, April 02, 2007

Mujhe maaf karo (forgive me)

Sorry. Such an easy word to say yet we, at times find it too hard to say or are too arrogant to acknowledge or simply all don’t understand the power this one word command's.

It fixes wrongs; it can make things better and in a slightly longer, more eloquent definition ala Omar: it can communicate the realization of the harsh, hurtful or callous consequences of ones actions upon another and the commitment towards not making the same error/frivolity again!

The inspiration for this note came from none other than the lyrics of ‘Sorry’ which I heard over this weekend while driving back from a dinner at a friend’s house in Tarlai.

For the lyrics of the song from the queen of pop you can click the following link http://www.mp3lyrics.org/m/madonna/sorry/ Point to be noted is the presence of ‘Sorry’ in Urdu in the 7th stanza.

You can imagine my glee when I heard our tongue on the airwaves of the world spoken by none other than my teenage crush and all time favorite female singer, trend setter and marketing whiz!!

The question that arises in my mind however is . . . have we diluted the very essence of this one word in today’s day and age?

Do we all still realize the true potency of this words’ utterance?

The fact that we can earn another’s trust (perhaps) once again by simply saying this word with feeling?

The idea that this word, in essence, can end spats, feuds, enmities and who knows . . . maybe even war and racial disparities? (Or am I being too John Lennon-ish)

I leave the question open to all . . . I have heard it all before

No comments:

Post a Comment